Wednesday, May 7, 2008

For Stephany

Fred and I attended Uncle Chuck's funeral service today.
This post if for my dearest cousin Stephany-Uncle Chuck's grandaughter, his "punkin". Steph was, and is an adorable, loving, funny, beautiful and-I learned today, courageous young woman. Both she and my cousin David (her brother) eulogized their grandfather with tearful and humourous words. I was especially moved by Stephany's willingness to share deeply personal events that really belonged to her and her grampa. By doing so, she brought forth such courage. I''m not saying it takes an incredible amount of courage to speak in public, but when we do so when our hearts are broken, and we are so very vulnerable, I think that kind of bravery is admirable.
Both Steph and I were especially close to our grandmothers. Our grandmothers were sisters, good friends, and came from a family that was torn apart when they were both quite young. I think we inherited some survival skills from our gramma's. What I know for sure is that both Steph and I learned to love from the best of the best. Her Gramma Ferne and my Gramma Babe. Ask anyone!
So Stephany, if you are out there in blog world and read this, I love you, and admire you, and thank you for reminding me about being brave. Even though your Grampa and Gramma are together now, we are left behind to carry on. I don't have a daughter; you have two. I DO have a granddaughter-Olivia Jean, and hope I can be with her more as she grows up, and I have a chance to teach her about the things our grandparents taught us. Nothing could be more important.

No comments: